Ferndale Historical Society Top Banner




Ferndale’s Chronology

1800's
1850's
 
1870's
 
1880's
 
1840's
 

1816

Surveyors are commissioned to survey Royal Oak Township what is now called Oakland County.

1818

The road from Detroit to Pontiac which passed through Ferndale was known as Saginaw Road, Saginaw Turnpike and to this day Woodward Avenue.

1820

During the 1820’s, “White’s Place” located at the present site of Ferndale High School, served travelers on the forerunner of Woodward Avenue – the Saginaw Trail.

1834

A Railroad is started from Royal Oak to Detroit which ran though Ferndale.

1869

The 1st manufacturing business recorded was a steam saw mill owned by Adolphus Granger.

1890

North Nine Mile Road & Campbell (Hilton) area is sold and subdivided and known as Urbanrest.

1898

A deal is signed with what is later known as the Detroit United Railroad which ran though the city in the median along Woodward.

1907

Willis Hough owns the 1st and probably only “country estate” in the area, 30 acres, known as pinecrest.

1909

Porter School at the southeast corner of Nine Mile Road and Woodward is moved and a new school built. The new school named the Ferndale School is destroyed by fire on December 28, 1914.

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

1910

First plat laid out is the southwest corner of Woodward and Nine Mile. The intersection of Woodward and Nine Mile was considered the center of the area.

1910

The Hubbard Marsh went from Eight Mile to Eleven Mile road. A beaver dam was just south of Ten Mile Road.

1912

The 2nd platted area of the intersection of Woodward and Nine Mile is the southeast corner of Woodward and Nine Mile and known as “Little Farms”.

1912

A narrow strip of pavement is laid from Detroit to Royal Oak on Woodward Avenue.

1912

David Oppenheim founded Machpelah Cemetery.

1913

The 3rd and 4th platted areas of the intersection of Woodward and Nine Mile is the northeast and northwest Nine Mile areas north of Woodward and known as the “Woodward Heights” subdivision and is one of the largest in the city.

1917

Deputy Sheriff Albert Anderson is killed by a burglar.

1917

St. Paul’s Methodist Church is established at Nine Mile and Bermuda. The first church built in Ferndale, it replaces the original building called "The Tabernacle".

1917

The Baptist Chapel church is established on East Nine Mile just west of Woodward. It later becomes the Ferndale Women's Club and is also used for a high school classroom from 1920-1921.

1917

Ridgewood School opens at Eight Mile Road and Stratford. After Taft School is built, Ridgewood School is demolished. The school location is where the westbound Eight Mile Road is today.

1917

The first Village Charter Commission was formed and consisted of Elbert L. Chase, Lovell G. Turnbull, Gordon Damon, Otis G. Morse.

1918

Ferndale was declared a Village.

1918

Lovell G. Turnbull was 1st Village President (1918-1919)

1918

Village records are kept in a barrel in Badder's Real Estate office.

1918

The Chamber of Commerce was born at this time and it was called The Board of Commerce.

1918

Henry Mills is named Village Marshal. The Village buys him a gun, handcuffs and a motorcycle. He makes 22 traffic arrests in four days.

1919

Fred E. Gordon was 2nd Village President (1919-1921)

1919

Ferndale becomes the first community in the Nation to reach a Red Cross fund drive quota.

1919

St. James Catholic Church is founded at Woodward and West Hazelhurst. Prior to that, Mass and Sunday School was held in an old chicken coop, and the old farmhouse was used as a Chapel.

1919

The Ferndale Memorial Society was formed to raise money for a bronze tablet to list the names of servicemen but is dissolved after the war. The Ferndale Memorial Association is formed in 1927 to perpetuate a Memorial Day which includes a parade and program to honor those who served and died in service from Ferndale. This parade is the oldest in Michigan.

1919

Cinders are laid to smooth Ridge Road from Eight Mile to Nine Mile.

1919

Individual mailboxes are put on Woodward and Nine Mile for residents to get their mail due to the unusable roads in the wet seasons which made mail delivery nearly impossible.

1919

Ferndale employs two mounted police officers, Michael Burkart and William B. Newcomb, because the roads are so congested that police cars are not efficient.

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

1920

Fred E. Gordon was 2nd Village President (1919-1921)

1920

Most of the neighborhood schools were built during the twenties.

1920

Ferndale appears in Ripley's "Believe It Or Not" feature because it has more children per capita than any other town in the nation the same size.

1920

Urbanrest School is built. It is later renamed Harding school.

1920

A plank walkway is installed on the north side of Nine Mile Road from Bermuda to Campbell.

1920

Ardmore Hospital founded at 181 Ardmore Street. In 1933, the Wooliever property on West Nine Mile near Livernois was purchased by Eva Clemenshaw, remodeled and reopened as Ardmore Hospital. Ardmore is later sold to Drs. John and Earl Flick.

1920

The street Saginaw Trail is renamed to Pinecrest and remains sense.

1920

Harold Kennedy, owner of Ferndale Lumber & Supply Company on Nine Mile Road at the Railroad tracks, buys a yoke of oxen to make deliveries because the roads are so bad.

1920

A traffic tower, nicknamed The Crow's Nest, is erected on Nine Mile and Woodward. A policeman sits in the tower to direct traffic. The tower is removed in 1928 and replaced with electric traffic signals.

1920

The 1st two story building is built. The Badder Block at the northwest corner of Woodward & Nine Mile.

1920

The first Police and Fire station was built on North East Nine Mile between Woodward and Bermuda.

1920

The American State Bank was established. In 1923 a new larger building is built on the corner of Woodward and Vester. It now houses the Elk's Club.

1920

The Kaltz Brothers was one of Ferndale's leading commercial businesses and is still in operation today.

1921

L.O. Berry was 3rd Village President (1921-1923)

1921

March 31st, the Village Commission is faced with a recall election after commissioners are charged with "lack of sympathy with public welfare, willful misconduct, unable to sense proper public acts, employment of unnecessary servants to do public-work, payment of extravagant salaries, misuse of public funds, and willful appropriation of public funds to pay lawyers for personal business" The recall effort succeeds as all incumbents are thrown out of office. L.O. Berry, a Woodward Avenue grocer, is elected village president. new commissioners are Ward Richmond, Raymond Donahue, Elizabeth Smith and John Jacobus.

1921

Lincoln High School is built on the north side of West Nine Mile near Livernois.

1921

The Ferndale Enterprise newspaper is founded by George Williams, and the Ferndale News is founded by Robert Moylan.

1921

St. Luke's Episcopal Church is Founded and built on Livernois. The current building is completed in 1929.

1922

L.O. Berry was 4th Village President (1921-1923)

1922

There were traffic jams on Woodward.

1922

The Ferndale Theatre opened.

1923

The Ferndale Gazette, a weekly newspaper, is founded by Harvey Jacobs and became the local paper.

1924

C.N. Smith was 5th Village President (1924-1926)

1924

St. James School is founded.

1924

The Drayton Avenue Presbyterian Church was built.

1924

The Masonic Temple was built.

1924

Ferndale’s Rotary Club, Exchange Club, and Woman’s Club were established.

1924

Both East and West Nine Mile Roads are paved.

1925

C.N. Smith was 5th Village President (1924-1926)

1925

The Veteran's of Foreign Wars (VFW) was founded. They honored the first young man who was killed in action by naming their post The Paul W. Hornaday Post 1407.

1926

Robert E. Lewis was 6th Village President (1926-1927)

1926

Roy Waugh opened his radio repair store in Jacob's Jewelry Store and moved during the depression when he bought his store on the corner of Marshall and Allen for back taxes. He remained in business for over sixty years.

1926

Rialto Restaurant opens under the ownership of Alex Kelingos and Basil Theson. The restaurant expanded by purchasing Zehenders Department Store.

1926

City Charter Commission elected December 21th and consisted of: Fred McCaul, Lewis Walton, Roy Chamberlain, Charles M. May, Harry Lyons, George Williams, Theodore Degenhardt, Leonard Schnell.

1926

A widened Woodward Avenue is completed with two 40 foot lanes. One northbound and one southbound with a parkway between which the D.U.R. operates.

1927

January. Ferndale citizen's vote to become a City.

1927

March 7th. Ferndale becomes a City.

1927

Before Ferndale was incorporated as a City, Mayors were known as Presidents.

1927

Guy Stark was 1st Mayor (1927-1929)

1928

Guy Stark was 1st Mayor (1927-1929)

1928

Woodward widened to eight lanes, solidifying its reputation as the first superhighway in the world.

1928

Rodger’s Dutch Mill opened December 8th, and was a very unique restaurant in that customers were met by a touch of Holland. Windmills and canals were painted on the walls and waitresses were dressed like Dutch Girls.

1929

John Anders was 2nd Mayor (1929-1931)

1929

The C.H. Harrison Building was built and is now The Ferndale Center Building. It housed Liggetts Drug Store and was one of the four Drug Stores on each corner of Woodward and Nine Mile. The second floor was leased to the Village as offices and the Court.

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

1930

John Anders was 2nd Mayor (1929-1931)

1930

Youth, Incorporated buys and remodels the “Castle On The Nine” for young people to hold dances and other activities.

1930

The Ferndale Kiwanis Club was founded.

1930

Phil & Bill Rosen opened a fruit and vegetable market on Nine Mile that grew into the State Packing House and served the community until the supermarkets took over.

1930

In November the Ferndale Public Library opens with Etta Vivian as its Librarian.

1931

Ray Dickson was 3rd Mayor (1931-1933)

1931

Homes were purchased and torn down to eventually make the Withington parking lot.

1931

George Higgins opens Pontiac automobile agency which quickly becomes one of the largest in the state.

1931

Mayor Jay F. Gibbs proposes to save the City $700.00 by turn-off of every other light on Nine Mile Road during the depression.

1931

Thomas J. Ealand purchases the Ferndale Theatre.

1932

Ray Dickson was 3rd Mayor (1931-1933)

1933

Theodore L. Degenhardt was 4th Mayor (1933-1941)

1933

Ferndale celebrates Mardi Gras for the first time.

1934

Theodore L. Degenhardt was 4th Mayor (1933-1941)

1934

Ferndale begins a food co-op program.

1934

The Spot was a favorite gathering place. It was an ice cream parlor on the southeast corner of Woodward at the alley on West Nine Mile Road.

1934

To combat a rash of bank robberies the Ferndale Police get a sub-machine gun.

1935

Theodore L. Degenhardt was 5th Mayor (1933-1941)

1935

Elizabeth Beasley becomes the first woman elected to the Ferndale Schools Board of Education.

1936

Theodore L. Degenhardt was 5th Mayor (1933-1941)

1936

January 30th. the Third Annual President's Ball to fight infantile paralysis (polio) is held in the gymnasiums at three locations in the city.

1937

Theodore L. Degenhardt was 6th Mayor (1933-1941)

1937

City offices move into American State Bank near Eight Mile on Woodward. This property went back to the City for unpaid taxes.

1937

The Radio City movie theater opens.

1937

David Harding is saved from drowning when his parents' basement is flooded at 558 Milton.

1937

The new Post Office is built.

1938

Theodore L. Degenhardt was 6th Mayor (1933-1941)

1938

Ferndale Police and two Federal agents harvest and burn 60 stalks of marijuana found growing on Kensington.

1938

Ferndale's last Civil war veteran, Francis M. Sockman, dies at age 92. He was a member of Company C, 12th Infantry, West Virginia and an honorary member of the VFW.

1939

Theodore L. Degenhardt was 7th Mayor (1933-1941)

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

1940

Theodore L. Degenhardt was 7th Mayor (1933-1941)

1940

Ferndale is the first city in the nation whom 90% of the employees are buying war bonds.

1940

March 17th the long delayed WPA (Works Progress Administration) project to remodel the police station and municipal court building begins.

1941

Carl W. Forsythe was 8th Mayor (1941-1949)

1941

During the war years, Harding Park was used for an Army Encampment.

1942

Carl W. Forsythe was 8th Mayor (1941-1949)

1942

General Douglas McArthur visited Ferndale because they had sold the most War Bonds.

1942

Ferndale Schools rescind policy of not hiring married teachers.

1942

The War Production Board decides to build an addition to Ardmore Hospital on Nine Mile.

1942

Paul Best, superintendent of schools, opens an adult education program. Harold Wilcox is the first Director and is later followed by Dorothy Kosovac.

1942

N.A. Woodworth Co. wins the Army-Navy pennant for its out-standing performance in war production.

1942

September 25th. Wallace Holt, son of Mrs. Lawrence Holt, is captured and made a prisoner of war while participating in the raid on Dieppe. He is a member of Headquarters Company of the Essex Scottish. His brother Jack is still missing.

1942

October. The Ferndale Elks Lodge 1588 sells $5,725 in war bonds at a dance party.

1942

November 8th. Patrolman Elmer Jubelt is seriously injured by a bandit who later kills himself at Police Headquarters after being captured.

1943

Carl W. Forsythe was 9th Mayor (1941-1949)

1943

April 2nd. Lincoln High School Student Board handles first business of students wishing to manage racial issues. The Student Board is established following a pair of stabbings: one on March 23rd, in which a 15 year old black student was stabbed and another on March 29th. in which a white student was stabbed.

1943

Ferndale celebrated its 25th “Silver” Anniversary.
1943
Officer Glen Silverthorn is sent to remove a rabbit after it invades the city’s Victory Garden. The rabbit doesn’t take kindly to the officer, kicking him in the head, knocking off his hat and breaking his badge before escaping.

1944

Carl W. Forsythe was 9th Mayor (1941-1949)

1944

February 3rd. The Caledonia Club of Ferndale holds its 10th annual Burns Night at the Ferndale Masonic Temple. 300 guests attended.

1944

September 19th. Council denies a request by three residents to keep chickens and another request by a Woodward Heights resident to keep a saddle horse.

1945

Carl W. Forsythe was 10th Mayor (1941-1949)

1946

Carl W. Forsythe was 10th Mayor (1941-1949)

1946

A serious explosion rocks Reichold Chemical plant located on Woodward Heights and the train tracks.

1947

Carl W. Forsythe was 11th Mayor (1941-1949)

1947

Attorney William Beasley becomes the first Ferndale resident ever to be elected to the Circuit Court.

1948

Carl W. Forsythe was 11th Mayor (1941-1949)

1949

Bruce D. Garbutt was 12th Mayor (1949-1971)

1949

May 17th. Residents of the Northeast Ferndale Improvement Association want to change the name of Hilton Road to match Royal Oak's Campbell Road since it was originally Campbell. Motion is denied.

1949

Schools receive “Magic Squares” 120’x120’ lighted, fenced-in, hard surface areas used for tennis, volleyball, basketball, badminton, roller-skating, dancing, shuffleboard, hopscotch and ice-skating. Ruth Romig and "Bud" Brown were instrumental in obtaining this project.

1949

Asa Bonner buys the Ferndale Gazette. Bonner also owns two other publications: the Berkley Times and the Highland Park.

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

1950

Bruce D. Garbutt was 12th Mayor (1949-1971)

1950

Ferndale Public Library built a new Library at 222 E. Nine Mile. Enid Baily DeTar Poehlman was the Librarian.

1950

Ferndale’s 2nd Fire station is built on the Westside of Livernois just south of Nine Mile.

1951

Bruce D. Garbutt was 13th Mayor (1949-1971)

1951

June 6th. The home of pioneer Walter Hylund was moved from Nine Mile to Chesterfield. Hylund was Ferndale's first Plumber.

1951

The First Methodist Church was founded. Its Pastor being Reverend Moulton.

1951

The City Commission approved the construction of a new Fire Station on the East side of the city to replace an out-grown Fire Station on East Nine Mile near Woodward.

1952

Bruce D. Garbutt was 13th Mayor (1949-1971)

1953

Bruce D. Garbutt was 14th Mayor (1949-1971)

1954

Bruce D. Garbutt was 14th Mayor (1949-1971)

1954

The first Dairy Queen ice cream stand was built and still serves the community, located near Pinecrest.
1954

New Ferndale Public Library built on E. Nine Mile.

1955

Bruce D. Garbutt was 15th Mayor (1949-1971)

1955

Dr. John Flick, chairman of the Board of Ardmore Hospital, announced plans for a $175,000 expansion of the hospital at 814 W. Nine Mile. The expansion will double the hospital available space.

1955

The Memorial Mall was established on Livernois near Nine Mile with Mrs. Ethel Kinane's urging. The boulder that had been used for the event at the Lincoln High School was moved to the Mall. The Parade and program is still active and is the oldest in Michigan.

1955

The overpass on Woodward and Eight Mile was completed.

1956

Bruce D. Garbutt was 15th Mayor (1949-1971)
1956
Fire Department headquarters built on Livernois.

1957

Bruce D. Garbutt was 16th Mayor (1949-1971)

1957

The new Ferndale High School was built and school started that January. The first graduating class was in June 1959. Lincoln High School now became a Junior High School.

1958

Bruce D. Garbutt was 16th Mayor (1949-1971)

1959

Bruce D. Garbutt was 17th Mayor (1949-1971)

1959

John Shada becomes coach at St. James High School. Shada dies Sept. 14, 1969 after suffering a cardiac arrest at the school's season opening football game. Shada was coach of the year for the Catholic league in the 1962 and 1965. He was placed in the Michigan Coaches Hall of Fame in 1962.

1959

February --Best Junior High School Principal Scott W. Street is demoted to teacher after he supports a program of "Progressive Education," with oral conferences replacing graded reports cards. The school board decides the program at Best and Jackson schools are to progressive. School Board has to move its meeting to the gym after too many parents and teachers show up in protest. Twelve teachers resign as a result and the Michigan Education Association asks for a probe. The state attorney general backs the school board stance and the Circuit Court rules the board has the right to demote Street. Street instead takes a post in Africa.

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

1960

Bruce D. Garbutt was 17th Mayor (1949-1971)

1960

Ferndale becomes the first school district in the northern United States to become involved in school segregation issues. Federal government orders Ferndale to desegregate the district.

1960

Ferndale and Oak Park fight over taking Carver school in Royal Oak Township into their district.

1961

Bruce D. Garbutt was 18th Mayor (1949-1971)

1961

The Salk vaccine was given to all youngsters as a prevention against polio.

1962

Bruce D. Garbutt was 18th Mayor (1949-1971)

1963

Bruce D. Garbutt was 19th Mayor (1949-1971)

1964

Bruce D. Garbutt was 19th Mayor (1949-1971)

1965

Bruce D. Garbutt was 20th Mayor (1949-1971)

1965

The New City Hall and Police Station were built and the old Police and Fire Station was torn down.

1965

The city creates a recreation department for the first time, complete with a director and six other employees.

1966

Bruce D. Garbutt was 20th Mayor (1949-1971)

1967

Bruce D. Garbutt was 21st Mayor (1949-1971)

1968

Bruce D. Garbutt was 21st Mayor (1949-1971)

1968

Ferndale celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a dinner honoring its first residents. There was a week-long celebration with parades and contests.

1969

Bruce D. Garbutt was 22nd Mayor (1949-1971)

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

1970

Bruce D. Garbutt was 22nd Mayor (1949-1971)

1971

Henry A. Schiffer was 23rd Mayor (1971-1973)

1971

The Welcome Campbell house was torn down. The family moved to Ferndale in 1859 where Mr. Welcome Campbell bought 750 acres in the northeast area between Nine and Ten Mile. Campbell Road was named after him, but in Ferndale it was never an official street name and years later it was renamed to Hilton Road. The Historical Society campaigned to save the Campbell house. It was located at 2327 Hilton Road.

1971

Maurice F. Cole publishes “Ferndale of Yesteryear”

1971

April 18th. An Oak Park resident living in the Ferndale school district begins a campaign to recall three board members. The three had voted to appeal a decision by the Sixth U.S. District Court of Appeals on a charge of racial discrimination by the district for maintaining Grant as an all black elemen-tary school.

1972

Henry A. Schiffer was 23rd Mayor (1971-1973)

1972

The Chamber of Commerce sponsored a Fall Festival on the West Nine Mile Road for several years until a fire destroyed several stores. Although it happened when the festival was not on the Fire Chief said he would not have been able to put it out had it been in operation. However it had run long enough to accomplish its purpose. It had invited clubs and organizations to participate for a price of $25.00 and that money was used to purchase the Marquee on Woodward and Nine Mile.

1972

The Ferndale School Board fails to win approval of plans to desegregate Grant school and files the plans with the Sixth U.S. District Court of Appeals in an effort to regain withheld Federal Funds of $224,643.

1973

Robert J. Paczkowski was 24th Mayor (1973-1979)

1974

Robert J. Paczkowski was 24th Mayor (1973-1979)

1974

The first Senior Citizen high-rise was built. It is located at Paxton and Troy.

1975

Robert J. Paczkowski was 25th Mayor (1973-1979)

1975

September 19th. The Ostrander building on West Nine Mile is considered the worse commercial fire in Ferndale’s history.

1975

Radio City movie theatre was demolished.

1976

Robert J. Paczkowski was 25th Mayor (1973-1979)

1976

Ferndale celebrated with the Nation's 100th birthday. It was a month long jubilee. A Bi-Centennial Ball was held at the St. James Church Gym and members of the Exchange Club depicted past Presidents and their ladies. A Time Capsule was buried on the Library grounds.

1976

Twelve-year-old Mark Stebbins was kidnapped and murdered. He was the first of four child abductions and murders attributed to the Oakland County killer. The killer was never found.

1976

Federal District Judge Cornelia Kennedy refuses the request of the Ferndale School District to approve the voluntary de-segregation plan and restore Federal funds. Funds were term-inated in 1972 following a determination by Health Education and Welfare that the district was guilty of segregation at Grant school. H.E.W. said the district had not exhausted administrative remedies and must deal with the U.S. Department of Justice. The Justice Department said the school board had to deal with the H.E.W. The district said attending Elementary is voluntary and 35 students chose to transfer to other district schools which are primarily white.

1977

Robert J. Paczkowski was 26th Mayor (1973-1979)

1978

Robert J. Paczkowski was 26th Mayor (1973-1979)

1979

Bernie Lennon was 27th Mayor (1979-1984)

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

1980

Bernie Lennon was 27th Mayor (1979-1984)

1981

Bernie Lennon was 27th Mayor (1979-1984)

1982

Bernie Lennon was 28th Mayor (1979-1984)

1982

Withington west was the second Senior high-rise to be built. It’s located on Planavon and Withington.

1982

Schiffer Park was dedicated in honor of former Mayor Henry Schiffer.

1983

Bernie Lennon was 28th Mayor (1979-1984)

1983

The City let the Historical Society use the donated Canadian Legion building for a Historical Museum after renovations was completed. The building was donated to the city in 1979.

1984

James B. Avery was 29th Mayor (1984-1986)

1985

James B. Avery was 29th Mayor (1984-1986)

1986

Albert G. Gertley was 30th Mayor (1986-1992)

1987

Ferndale celebrated Michigan's 60th Anniversary with a Governor's Ball with residents of Ferndale depicting former Governor's and their wives. The Historical Society collected memories from old residents and collaborated on a book "Old Timer's Tell It Like It Was" with Gerry Kulick (Editor), Ruth Elmers and June Kotlarek publishing it.

1987

Albert G. Gertley was 30th Mayor (1986-1992)

1988

Albert G. Gertley was 31st Mayor (1986-1992)

1989

Albert G. Gertley was 31st Mayor (1986-1992)

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

1990

Albert G. Gertley was 32nd Mayor (1986-1992)

1991

Albert G. Gertley was 32nd Mayor (1986-1992)

1992

Robert McGee was 33rd Mayor (1992-1994)

1992

The Board of Education names Pedro Cain as ombudsman for Adult and Continuing Education, a new post.

1992

Decision to allow Harding Elementary School to participate in a year around school pilot program. Under the program, students at Harding will have 200 school days per year, rather that the state mandated 180.

1993

Robert McGee was 33rd Mayor (1992-1994)

1993

Ferndale celebrates 75th “Diamond Jubilee” Anniversary.

1994

Pamela S. McCullough was 34th Mayor (1994-1996) 1st woman Mayor.

1994

May 9th. William Coyne resigns as school superintendent.

1994

March. Peter Jennings, News Anchor, visits Ferndale High School to interview students as to their future.

1995

Pamela S. McCullough was 34th Mayor (1994-1996)

1995

The first Woodard Avenue Dream Cruise and Car Show was organized. It included six Cities. Ferndale Resident, Nelson House is the founder of the idea to raise money for a kid’s soccer field.

1996

Charles G. Goedert was 35th Mayor (1996-2002)

1996

Woodward Dream Cruise, Inc. is established for the now annual event and coordinates the nine host cities.

1996

The Community Building was torn down to make way for a Credit Union High Rise.

1997

Charles G. Goedert was 35th Mayor (1996-2002)

1998

Charles G. Goedert was 36th Mayor (1996-2002)

1998

Dropping student enrollment figures and a worsening financial forecast force the school district to look at closing two elementary schools.

1999

Charles G. Goedert was 36th Mayor (1996-2002)

1999

Edison-Oakland Public School Academy (K-6) opens at St. James Church location on Woodward.

1999

Spring. City Council members approve the use of Martin Road Park for the construction of a new facility that will become home to a local curling club (Detroit Curling Club). Residents nearby the park oppose the plan, objecting to a provision that allows members to consume alcohol on the premises and saying the move will bring increased traffic to the area. Council members like the plan because it allows the city to use the facility for its own recreational programs whenever the curling season is not in full swing.

1999

November 2nd. Incumbent Charles Goedert fights off a challenge by Dennis Emmi to be re-elected to another term as mayor. Voters also narrowly defeat a new city charter proposal that would bring the city clerk, fire chief and police chief under the direction of the city manager.

1999

City Council adopts a human rights ordinance that prohibits discrimination, for reasons of a religious, racial, ethnic, gender and sexual orientation. Retiring Councilman Robert J. Paczkowski calls the ordinance a "gay" rights ordinance and leads a successful campaign. Council members rescind the ordinance and instead agree to place the issue before the voters.

Horizontal Rule - Top of Page Return to top of page

2000

Charles G. Goedert was 37th Mayor (1996-2002)

2000

100 Y2K Stop Signs that were bought “in-case” there was an issue are made available for sale by the city.

2000

Resident Hilda Horne of Ferndale turned 107 years old.

2000

Public Library receives 4 computers from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation.

2000

School Superintendent, Marcee Martin resigns 1 year early.

2000

Ferndale seeks to stop Racetrack construction at the Michigan State Fairgrounds.

2000

Police Department replaces all officers 13 year old guns with new ones.

2000

Voters for the second time in a year defeat a new city charter that would have made the city manager the boss of the fire and police chiefs.

2001

Charles G. Goedert was 37th Mayor (1996-2002)

2001

A Ferndale police officer is now a member of a federal Drug Enforcement Agency.

2001

New community center named in honor of Gerry Kulick.

2001

Police cars are equipped with dash mounted cameras. 15 years ago 1 pilot car had was equipped with a camera but was too bulky and difficult to use, so it was not implemented in the fleet.

2001

Metro Detroit 12th Annual Gay Pride Festival moves to Ferndale.

2001

Detroit Curling Club breaks ground for there $1.2 million building at Martin Road Park. They open in 2002.

2001

City Council votes unanimously to appeal the MDOT Woodward Avenue overpass at Eight Mile Road.

2001

“Q” bar opens at former bank at 141 West Nine Mile.

2002

Robert G. Porter was 38th Mayor (2002-2008)

2002

Resident Eva Port, one of the oldest woman in the country, celebrates her 108th birthday in June but passes away 2 months later.

2002

City sprays pesticides to combat against the West Nile virus after resident dies.

2002

Ferndale Veterans Memorial construction begins after a seven-year struggle to raise funds by Tim McGee.

2003

Robert G. Porter was 38th Mayor (2002-2008)

2003

A cascading power grid failure in the Northeastern United States dimmed the lights of 50 million homes including Ferndale.

2003

Resident Bob Guiney appeared on ABC’s "The Bachelorette" show.

2004

Robert G. Porter was 39th Mayor (2002-2008)

2004

Woodward Dream Cruise celebrated its 10th Anniversary.

2005

Robert G. Porter was 39th Mayor (2002-2008)

2006

Robert G. Porter was 40th Mayor (2002-2008)

2006

A replica of the 1920’s Crow’s Nest was made and is located at the Nine Mile and Woodward median.

2007

Robert G. Porter was 40th Mayor (2002-2008)

2007

Residents elect Craig Covey, the 1st openly gay Mayor in Michigan.

2007

Ferndale has 27 Churches.

2007

Ferndale has 2 of the following: Taco Bell, 7-11, CVS, Subway Subshop. This is interesting due to the relative size of the city.
2008
Craig Covey was 41st Mayor (2008-Present)
2008
The Historical Society launches its official website.
2009
Craig Covey was 41st Mayor (2008-Present)
Historical Society Logo Ferndale Historical Society - Site Credits